BMW presents the third generation of its superbike with this BMW S 1000 RR, at the EICMA 2018 show
A completely revised architecture
This third iteration of the superbike sees much of its revised architecture. The engine and the chassis are completely redesigned with the goal of optimizing the weight, power and handling of two-wheelers .
The new 4-cylinder in-line engine is lighter by 4 kilos, while developing 8 more horsepower than the previous version. The new BMW S 1000 RR develops a total of 207hp and a maximum torque of 113Nm for a weight of 197kg all full facts . The rev counter climbs up to 14,600 rpm, against 14,200 rpm previously. This redesigned design brings it to a weight / power ratio of 1.05. It may seem little seen like that but we must not forget that most manufacturers communicate on the dry weight, and not all full facts as here. The engine is lightened by 4kg, the intake and exhaust lines are reworked and allow to get a higher torque on a wider range. BMW announces at least 100Nm of torque between 5,500 and 14,500rpm.
Consumption is announced as 4% lower, while the exhaust sound is reworked and CO2 emissions are optimized.
These new intake and exhaust lines also allow the hypersport to lighten 1.2kg on these elements. The BMW S 1000 RR is now also equipped with the BMW ShiftCam variable intake system , which adjusts control times and lift of the intake valves, resulting in a significant gain in low- and mid-range torque. This eliminates one of the shortcomings of the previous RR which suffered from a sudden spike in high-end torque, leading to a dangerous wheelie trend.
This significant power is controlled by the completely redesigned chassis. The new geometry allows an optimal distribution of the masses on the wheels and a reduced weight. On the rear wheel, the new lightweight suspension of 300g features a Full Floater Pro kinematics, improving the damping of two-wheelers . The engine is more buoyant than the previous generation, which again allows to gain in weight. The Dynamic Damping Control System (DDC) is a new generation system that adapts the behavior of the damping according to the driving style, via a control and a revised valve management. A shim kit is also optional for race settings.
Driving assistance provided
Many driving assistance to control this BMW S 1000 RR third generation. Standard features include the ABS Pro system, assisting braking in an inclined position, BMW Motorrad integral ABS handling braking in the upright position, DTC reactive traction control coupled to a DTC anti-wheeling control function, or the HP Pro Shift Assistant system for very fast gear changes without clutch. Optionally there is also a fully customizable DTC anti-wheeling, an electronic speed regulator to easily cruiser , or the pack M to glide another 3.5kg for a total weight down to 193.5kg.
Up to seven driving modes
Versatility is also required with four standard driving modes: Road, Dynamic, Rain and Race, each offering responsive throttle and damping profiles. A “Pro Modes” option adds three fully customizable driving modes. Named Race Pro 1,2 and 3, these profiles give a total freedom of adjustment on the various parameters of the equipments and electronic systems such as the ABS, the traction control DTC, the anti-wheeling but also the control of the couple to adjust the response of the engine and the engine brake. This option also offers a Launch Control mode for optimal start, as well as a configurable pit lane limiter to meet the speed limits in track stand channels. That\’s not all since Pro modes offer DTC Wheelie Function control to control and remove wheelies for optimized acceleration. A hill start mode is also included as standard, with a Pro option to specify a precise incline from which the parking brake will automatically engage once the sport is stopped.
These different modes are found under the bubble via the 6.5 inch TFT screen display with optimized brightness for all driving situations. The information displayed here is also customizable, with a standard “Pure Ride” mode serving all the information necessary for regular driving, as well as the “Triple Core” mode dedicated to the circuit, which focuses on the display of the account. turns via a bar graph or dials. BMW proclaims an information system without competition on the super-sport segment at the moment , mentioning the quality of the screen, the amount of data but also the ease of use.
A resolutely sporty design
Finally, the exterior design rejuvenates a bit with a tank and a refined body around the seat for better seating and support of the knee reinforced cornering. BMW also mentions a superior aerodynamics. All optics are LED on this new R 1000 SS, for greater visibility and increased security . The exterior styling is decidedly sporty with two distinctive finishes: Racing Red uni or Sport with the Racing Blue, Light White uni and Racing Red uni paints using the classic BMW Motorsport color scheme.
Price and availability
The price of the BMW S 1000 RR 2019 is set at € 19,200 , for an availability scheduled for spring 2019!
To remember :
• 4 kg lighter weight, new 4-cylinder in-line engine with BMW ShiftCam technology for adjustment of control times and lift of intake valves.
• Increased power and torque: 207 hp (152 kW) at 13,500 rpm and 113 Nm at 11,000 rpm.
• At least 100 Nm of torque between 5,500 and 14,500 rpm.
• Linear torque curve for increased efficiency: improved handling and handling thanks to the gain in low and mid-range torque.
• New suspensions with Flex Frame frame, associated with a more powerful engine than on the previous generation.
• Ergonomics significantly improved thanks to the Flex Frame.
• Refined suspension geometry to increase maneuverability, handling and responsiveness in extreme driving situations.
• Optimized Dynamic Damping Control damping adaptive electronic control system, optional new generation valves.
• New 300g lightweight rear suspension with Full Floater Pro kinematics.
• Weight reduction from 11 to 14,5 kg for a weight of 197 kg, all filled in (empty weight according to DIN) and 193,5 kg with pack M.
• New exhaust line weighing about 1.3 kg less than the previous generation, with front silencer.
• New 6-axis sensors.
• Dynamic traction control system (DTC) provided as standard.
• Series DTC wheeling function (pitch control).
• Optional DTC wheeling function ( /- setting) available.
• Engine brake function configurable.
• ABS Pro system offers increased safety during braking, including inclined position, provided as standard.
• New “Road”, “Dynamic” and “Race” rain modes are standard; “Pro modes” option with three additional configurable modes for optimal vehicle personalization in all driving situations: “Race Pro 1- 3”.
• Launch Control function for a perfect start included in the “Pro modes” option.
• Pit Lane Limiter to precisely comply with the pit lane speed limits also included in the “Pro modes” option.
• Shift Assistant Pro system offers fast, clutchless gear changes that are standard.
• Easy adjustment of the gear selector in reverse position.
• Electronic speed control available as an option from the factory.
• New 6.5-inch dashboard with excellent readability including Pure Ride display and three Core displays.
• LED optics throughout the vehicle.
• Indicators with the new function “Comfort Indicators”.
• Completely redesigned body elements, even more sporty and aerodynamically optimized design language.
• Two finishes available from launch: Racing Red uni and Sport Finish (Racing Blue, Light White uni, Racing Red uni).