2015 Yamaha YZF-R3 Review and Specs Feature – Especially designed with speed and agility in mind, the Yamaha YZF-R3 is ready to reward its rider with top notch performances each time he jumps on its saddle.
The new 2015 Yamaha R3 sports a class-leading, 321 cc, liquid cooled, in line, 2 cylinder DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, fuel-injected engine which develops maximum power at 10,750 rpm.
The motorcycle also features a newly designed steel frame and swingarm and a powerful 298 mm floating mount front disc brake paired with a rear 220mm floating disc.
The motorcycle rides on 10 spoke cast aluminum wheels which are wrapped in 110/70-17M/C 54H front and 140/70-17M/C 66H rear tires. The 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3 is available in Raven, Team Yamaha Blue/Matte Silver And Rapid Red and it can be yours for no less than $ 4,990.
2015 Yamaha YZF-R3 Review and Specs Feature
An all-new model that goes on sale in February, the $4990 Yamaha YZF-R3 is powered by a liquid-cooled 321cc parallel-twin, a new fuel-injected DOHC four-valve powerplant with offset cylinders and forged pistons. The compression ratio is listed as 11.2:1, and peak power is produced at 10,750 rpm. Moreover, this new twin has a 180-degree crankshaft and a balancer, and its aluminum DiASIL cylinder dissipates heat well to reduce horsepower loss.
The frame and swingarm of the new R3 are steel, and Yamaha’s Derek Brooks said the bike’s ratio of swingarm length to wheelbase is almost identical to that of the R1. That, together with an effort to centralize mass, helps make the R3 a good-handling bike. Making the bike even better for a beginner is a manageable claimed wet weight of 368 lb., plus a seat that’s only 30.7 in. off the pavement.
In addition to a KYB fork with stout 41mm tubes, the new 2015 YZF-R3 is fitted with a KYB shock, clip-on handlebars, a sporty-looking full fairing, 10-spoke aluminum wheels, and brakes that feature a 298mm floating front rotor and 220mm rear. What’s more, the R3 has a compact LCD instrument panel with a multifunction meter that includes a gear-position indicator, fuel capacity, fuel economy, water temp, a clock, two trip meters and even an oil change indicator light. Lastly, three colors are available: Yamaha Blue/Matte Silver, Rapid Red, and Raven, otherwise known as black. ()
Now, the million-dollar question: How will this new Yamaha YZF-R3 fare in the real world against the likes of the Kawasaki Ninja 300 and Honda CBR300R? Yes, the Yamaha has an edge in displacement, but only one thing is certain: We need to put together a comparison test soon.
Yamaha 2015 YZF-R3 Features
- Large 321cc twin-cylinder engine offers excellent performance whether navigating cross-town traffic, hitting the twisties, or on the racetrack.
- Yamaha supersport inspired styling with a full fairing in a chassis that makes it perfect for first time riders or experienced riders who prefer a lightweight, nimble machine.
- Forged pistons just like the R1 and R6 are both lightweight and provide strength while the offset cylinders reduce friction for more power.
- The YZF-R3 offers a riding position that is very comfortable and the clip-on handlebars deliver a sporty rider position.
- With a seat height of only 30.7 inches and a flat seat design on the YZF-R3, it’s easy to get both feet firmly on the ground and inspire confidence, especially for beginner riders.
- Three beautiful livery options are available which means there is a color choice that is right for you.
- Newly developed 321cc, liquid-cooled, in-line 2-cylinder DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, fuel-injected engine delivers excellent power and performance throughout the powerband.
- With a compression ratio of 11.2:1 the engine develops maximum power at 10,750 rpm for an exciting ride.
- With a 180 degree crank design the machine provides a compact engine design and superior feeling when accelerating through the rpm range.
- Downdraft induction fuel injection provides easy starts and smooth performance in all conditions.
- Yamaha’s all-aluminum DiASil cylinder is used to ensure excellent heat dissipation and the unique design reduces horsepower loss.
- Forged aluminum pistons, same technology used for the R1 and R6 means lighter weight and excellent strength at higher temperatures while the offset cylinder helps reduce horsepower loss at the point of combustion.
- Newly designed steel frame and swingarm.
- Powerful 298mm floating mount front disc brake ensure excellent stopping power while a 220mm floating disc handles the braking performance on the back.
- 41mm KYB® front suspension offers 5.1 inches of travel for rider comfort and control.
- 10 spoke cast aluminum wheels are both strong and high in style while reducing unsprung weight.
- The multi-function meter informs the rider of gear position, fuel capacity, real time and average fuel economy, water temp, clock, two tripmeters and an oil change indicator light.
- Legendary R-series styling and performance are inherent with the YZF-R3. Great styling matched to excellent engine performance and chassis design are the hallmarks of Yamaha’s R-series and YZF-R3 carries on the heritage with great results.
2015 Yamaha YZF-R3 Specifications
|MSRP*||$4,990 – Raven – Available from January 2015|
$4,990 – Team Yamaha Blue/Matte Silver – Available from January 2015
$4,990 – Rapid Red – Available from January 2015
|Engine Type||321cc, liquid-cooled 2-cylinder DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder|
|Bore x Stroke||68.0 x 44.1mm|
|Fuel Delivery||Fuel Injected|
|Ignition||TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition|
|Transmission||Constant mesh; 6-speed transmission|
|Suspension / Front||41mm KYB® telescopic fork; 5.1 in of travel|
|Suspension / Rear||KYB® single shock; 4.9 in of travel|
|Brakes Front||Hydraulic, 298mm|
|Brakes / Rear||Hydraulic, 220mm|
|Tires / Front||110/70-17M/C 54H|
|Tires Rear||140/70-17M/C 66H|
|L x W x H||82.3 x 28.3 x 44.7 in|
|Seat Height||30.7 in|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||25°|
|Fuel Capacity||3.7 gal|
|Wet Weight***||368 lb|
|Warranty||1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)|
*Prices and specifications subject to change without notice. Please read your Owner’s Manual and all labels before operation.
**Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road conditions, how you ride and maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo, and operator/passenger weight
***Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is useful in making real-world comparisons with other models.
source : motorcycledaily.com | cycleworld.com